Date(s) - 08/10/2021 - 11/10/2021
Capel Curig Training Camp
Restrictions. This course is open to CFAV’s from the ACF and CCF. ATC and SCC CFAV bids are welcome on a top up basis only. Senior Cadets over 17years may also apply.
Course Content. The MT Climbing Wall Instructor Training (CWIT) including Abseil Module is a 3-day course. The Climbing Wall Instructor qualification is for climbers who are in a position of responsibility when supervising climbing activities on indoor or outdoor climbing walls, artificial boulders and towers. This includes a wide range of structures utilised for these activities which are referred to as ‘walls’. It is primarily concerned with ensuring good practice, leading to the safe enjoyment of climbing activities, and to an understanding of the sport.
Climbing Wall Instructors should be competent in the following key areas, all of which will be covered, to a greater or lesser extent, during your training course.
• Technical Competence (including equipment, belaying, personal skills and background knowledge)
• Management and Decision Making (including planning, managing participants, decision making, knowledge and demonstration of techniques and managing other staff)
• Teaching and Learning Skills
• The Climbing Environment (including access, etiquette and ethics).
The prerequisites for registration are as follows:
• You must be at least 17 years old
• You should have at least 6 months of experience of using a variety of climbing walls
• You should have an interest in climbing and in supervising groups on climbing walls
• You must be a member of a mountaineering council: BMC, Mountaineering Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland (you can join one when you register if you’re not already a member)
If you can tick all of the above boxes, here’s what to do next:
• Create an account on our Candidate Management System or log in if you already have one.
• Register for the Climbing Wall Instructor scheme (this costs £45)
• Ensure your MT candidate registration number is put on the CCAT course application.
Before you apply to attend a CCAT Climbing Wall Instructor training course make sure you have done the following:
• You must be registered on the scheme.
• You must have an understanding of the wider sport of climbing.
You must have an up to date logbook (preferably DLOG) with evidence of the following:
• Visits to 3 different climbing walls on at least 15 different occasions; this must include at least one major public wall.
• 10 led routes at Fr4 on walls.
*Ensure you download and read the Climbing Wall Instructor handbook available on the CMS.
*Ensure you complete your DLOG to provide clear evidence that you have attained the minimum pre-requisite experience
CCAT Application Process.
A CCAT course application is available on WESTMINSTER and the CCAT website www.armycadetadventure.co.uk. The course fee is £40.00. An electronic course application is required to be placed onto WESTMINSTER by your ACF/CCF unit. The CCAT course application form should be completed in full, is legible, signed and authorised by your unit ACF/CCF.
The fully completed CCAT course application should then be sent to HQ CCAT, Capel Curig, either by:
a. Email with the payment paid by BACs with student name + course i.e. Smith H1/BRC in the banking reference (preferable).
b. Post with a cheque made payable to CCAT ensuring the name of the student and course is written on the back of the cheque.