Date(s) - 25/09/2020 - 28/09/2020
10:30 pm - 5:00 pm
Capel Curig Training Camp
Restrictions. This course is open to CFAV’s from the ACF and CCF. ATC and SCC CFAV bids are welcome on a top up basis only. Senior Cadets over 18 years may also apply.
Course Content. The Mountain Training Hill & Moorland Leader Training (H&MLT) is a 3-day course. The Hill and Moorland Leader award offers the opportunity to gain experience and demonstrate technical competence in leading groups on hill walks in areas of the UK and Ireland that fall within the technical definition outlined below. Such areas may often be subject to hostile weather conditions and require an element of self-sufficiency and this is reflected in the syllabus of this scheme.
Suitable terrain for the Hill & Moorland Leader will meet the following four criteria:
• open, uncultivated, non-mountainous high or remote country known variously as upland, moor, bog, fell, hill or down
• areas enclosed by well-defined geographical or man-made boundaries such as classified roads (areas that merge with mountain regions and do not have well defined boundaries are excluded)
• areas of remoteness that are easily exited in a few hours, returning to a refuge or an accessible road
• areas where movement on steep or rocky terrain is not required (in either a planned or unplanned situation)
Hill and Moorland Leaders should be competent in the following key areas, all of which will be covered, to a greater or lesser extent, during your three day training course.
• Walking and Route Finding
• Hazards and Emergency Procedures
• Responsibilities of the Leader
• Group Management
• Access, Conservation and Environmental Knowledge
The prerequisites for registration are as follows:
• You must be at least 18 years old
• You should have at least a year’s worth of experience of hill walking
• You should have an interest in leading groups in the hills
• You must be a member of a mountaineering council: British Mountaineering Council, Mountaineering Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland (you can join one when you register if you’re not already a member)
If you can tick all of the above boxes, here’s what to do next:
• Create an account on our Candidate Management System or log in if you already have one.
• Register for the Hill and Moorland Leader scheme (this costs £47)
• Ensure your MT candidate registration number is put on the CCAT course application. www.mountain-training.org/walking/skills-and-awards/hill-and-moorland-leader
Before you apply for a CCAT Hill and Moorland Leader training course make sure you have done the following:
• You must be registered on the scheme
• You must have recorded a minimum of 20 Quality Hill walking Days on appropriate terrain (ideally on DLOG) which can have taken place at any point (pre- or post-registration)
*Ensure you download and read the Lowland Leader handbook available on the Candidate Management System.
*Ensure you complete your DLOG to provide clear evidence that you have attained the minimum 20 quality hill and moorland walks
CCAT Application Process.
A CCAT course application is available on WESTMINSTER and the CCAT website
www.armycadetadventure.co.uk The course fee is £40.00.
An electronic course application needs to be placed onto WESTMINSTER by your ACF/CCF unit.
The CCAT course application form needs to be completed in full, legible signed and authorised by your unit ACF/CCF. The course application needs to be sent to HQ CCAT, Capel Curig, by post or email with the course fee (cheque made payable to CCAT or BACs). Ensure the name of the student and course is written on the back of the cheque or included in the BACs payment reference