Date(s) - 22/06/2019 - 28/06/2019
Capel Curig Training Camp
Restrictions. This course is open to CFAV’s from the ACF and CCF. ATC and SCC CFAV bids are welcome on a top up basis only. Senior Cadets over 18years may also apply.
Course Content. The Mountain Leader Training (MLT) is a 6-day course. The Mountain Leader scheme offers the opportunity to gain technical competence in leading walkers in the hills and mountains. It does not provide a rock climbing qualification, nor does it cover the skills required for the planned use of the rope. Completion of a training course, without a pass result at assessment, is not a qualification in itself. It is the combination of technical skills, wide experience and personal leadership qualities, which form the basis for effective group management, and the scheme assesses all these aspects. The scheme is intended for those leading groups in mountainous or remote country. For a full list of areas in the UK and Ireland defined as mountainous country see Appendix 1 of the Handbook.
Mountain Leaders should be competent in the following key areas, all of which will be covered, to a greater or lesser extent, during your 6-day training course.
• Group management
• Access and the environment
• Hazards (including steep ground and rivers) and emergency procedures
• Expedition skills
• Background knowledge
The prerequisites for registration are as follows:
• You must be at least 18 years old
• You should have at least a year’s worth of experience of mountain walking
• You should have an interest in leading groups in the mountains
• You must be a member of a mountaineering council: BMC, Mountaineering Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland (you can join one when you register if you’re not already a member).
If you can tick all of the above boxes, here’s what to do next:
• Create an account on our Candidate Management System or log in if you already have one.
• Register for the Mountain Leader scheme (this costs £45)
• Ensure your MT candidate registration number is put on the CCAT course application.
Before you book onto a Mountain Leader training course, make sure you have done the following:
• You must be registered on the scheme
• You must have recorded a minimum of 20 Quality Mountain Days (ideally on DLOG) which can have taken place at any point (pre- or post-registration)
*Ensure you download and read the Mountain Leader handbook available on the CMS.
*Ensure you complete your DLOG to provide clear evidence that you have attained the minimum 20 QMDs
CCAT Application Process.
A CCAT course application is available on WESTMINSTER and the CCAT website
www.armycadetadventure.co.uk The course fee is £40.00.
An electronic course application needs to be placed onto WESTMINSTER by your ACF/CCF unit.
The CCAT course application form needs to be completed in full, legible signed and authorised by your unit ACF/CCF. The course application needs to be sent to HQ CCAT, Capel Curig, by post or email with the course fee (cheque made payable to CCAT or BACs). Ensure the name of the student and course is written on the back of the cheque or included in the BACs payment reference.